These days, the only thing you hear online marketers talking about is growing an email list- and there's a good reason for that.
The money is in the list.
If you want your words read, your work seen, and your services and products purchased, an email list is what you need. You can't rely on potential clients to remember to keep visiting your website and perusing your shop. You need to show up consistently in their inbox, proving to them how you're an expert, why they should buy from you, and showing them what they can buy.
Many freelancers think email marketing is only for product-based businesses.
I've even heard freelancers say:
- I don't sell courses so I don't need a list.
- I don't sell ebooks so I don't need a list.
- I don't have a blog so I definitely don't need a list.
I understand why some freelancers feel that way.
I think freelancers believe that email marketing is for product-based businesses because:
- Service-based business owners don't really talk about email marketing
- Freelancers get most of their clients from referrals, so they don't feel the need to build an email list.
- Even when freelancers do build a list, they rarely talk about it because they're busy talking about what their business is actually based on (and rightly so!)
Above all things- even blogging- you need an email list. Email marketing will take your freelance business to new heights. Don't believe me? Here are ten reasons why.