In this month’s masterclass I talked with special guest, Annette Stepanian*, an Attorney At Law. Watch or listen to learn how contracts help you close the deal with high-quality clients, and exactly what to include in your design contract.
(If you're looking for a reliable contract template, look no further than Annette's contract for designers!*)
- Breakdown of the main masterclass lessons (8:17)
- In your contract, specify the services to be performed (14:%5)
- In your contract, add your payment terms (20:55)
- What do I do if a client says she loves the design then tears it to pieces? (31:30)
- 4 contract strategies to help minimize client delays (33:01)
- Understanding copyright (37:40)
- Should you have a contract for free/volunteer work? (44:34)
- Will approval forms frighten clients away? (47:24)
- If I transfer the copyrights to my client, can I still use the work in my portfolio? (51:20)
- Do you need a license to establish your copyright or is everything you create automatically copyrighted? (53:10)
- Are all lawyers scary and crazy-expensive? (55:55)
- Besides disappearing when it's time to sign the contract, what are other red flags that show a client may be a nightmare to work with?(59:24)
- Listen to your gut when taking on clients (1:45:00)
- Does Annette provide help for 'subcontracting' contracts? (01:02:45)
- Do you send design approval forms after every round of revisions? (01:02:46)
- Can I resend new contracts to clients who have already signed my old contract? Should I get them to sign my new contract? (01:03:39)
Who is Annette Stepanian?
"My name is Annette. I'm a lawyer for entrepreneurs.
I’ve learned a lot about what it takes to run a small business after successfully running my own creative business. Today, I combine my passions for law and small business to teach other creative professionals & entrepreneurs how to lay a proper legal foundation for their business."
*All links marked with an asterisk are affiliate links. But don't worry - I'm only an affiliate for products I truly trust and love.